2/02/2010

Bb-Assignment 10

Think back of how YOU were taught your second (or third) language. Describe how it happened at the time, using the newly acquired terminology. Write a 300-500 word essay in which you reflect on your own language learning memories. Give examples of the kind of exercises and activities you were asked to carry out, indicating what views on language were behind it.
I grew up in a home where I constantly heard three different langauges. My father spoke Egyptian to me all the time. I also watched English and Dutch shows on the television. That is basically how I have learned the languages I am able to speak right now.
We only speak Egyptian at home. The reason we do this, is because my father is actually from Egypt and we are the only persons that know Egyptian over here. So we are only used to speak to each other in that langauge. Since I had no education at all the learn how to read and write, my father brought books with him from Egypt that used to be of my younger nephews. I had to write the alphabet and read the assignments and do them. So technically, I had private lessons by my father.
I only spoke Dutch, when I was outside my home. I spoke it at school, at the playground, everywhere. I basically learned it by watching Dutch shows on the television and at school. My mother is also Dutch, and whenever I went to her, I spoke, of course, Dutch to her.
The third language I have learned is English. I had learned this by watching English shows and by playing videogames. I did this so much, that I managed to learn this language without any basic education since I was doing this when I was at the age of four.