2/02/2010

Bb-Assignment 5

Do you think language? If so, what language? L1 (your mother tongue) or L2 (for instance English)? What goes faster: thinking or speaking?
I am a trilingual person, I speak Dutch, Egyptian and English. I use all of these languages constantly. It really depends on the situation or moment when I think in a specific language. When I speak to an English friend and afterwards have to do something, I think of that situation in English. The same goes for the two other languages. At home, when I talk to my dad I think in Egyptian and when I am outside with friends, I think in Dutch.
I do have to confess though, I do think faster than I speak. I also have no problems in pronouncing things within my head, but when I have to say it, I might have difficulties. For example, I do know how to pronounce Kilometer in English, but when I pronounce it, I encounter some difficulties.